Blueberries and Detox Water: An Overview
Throughout history, blueberries have been acknowledged for their potential health benefits. Ancient Greeks and Romans have historically valued this fruit for its properties.
Notable Benefits Of Blueberries
1. Weight Management: Blueberries are low in calories, have a low glycemic index (GI), and are rich in fiber. The Mayo Clinic notes that lowGI foods can be slow in digestion and absorption, which might influence hunger cues.
2. AntiAging Properties: Blueberries are abundant in antioxidants, which may combat free radicals linked to aging. Furthermore, blueberries contain resveratrol, which has been explored for its potential to counter sun damage effects.
4. AntiCancer Properties: Blueberries are rich in antioxidants, which could play a role in combating the free radicals contributing to DNA damage. Some studies have explored the relationship between blueberry consumption and a reduced risk of certain cancers.
5. Urinary Tract Health: Just as cranberries are known to support urinary tract health, blueberries might also offer similar benefits. They contain compounds that may prevent bacterial colonies like E. coli from attaching to the bladder wall.
6. Cardiovascular Health: The antioxidants in blueberries have been examined for their potential role in supporting heart health.
7. Antidiabetic Properties: Despite their sweet taste, blueberries have been studied for their potential antidiabetic effects.
8. Digestion: Blueberries are fiberrich, which can aid digestion. Some research even suggests positive changes in gut microbiota with blueberry consumption.
Blueberry Detox Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cup mixed frozen blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- One cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (stir in after blending).
Instructions: Blend all ingredients together.
Alternative: Raspberry Infused Water
Nutritional Snapshot of Blueberries
A cup of raw blueberries might contain:
- 0.5 gram fat
- 1.1 grams protein
- 21.4 grams carbohydrates
- 3.6 grams dietary fiber
- 84 calories
- …among other vitamins and minerals.
Benefits of Blackberry Infused Water
Studies Worth Noting:
- Basu, Arpita, et al. “Berries: Emerging Impact on Cardiovascular Health.” Nutrition reviews 68.3 (2010).
- Li, D.; Zhang, Y.; et al. Purified anthocyanin supplementation and its potential effects. J. Nutr. 2015.
- KRIKORIAN R, SHIDLER MD, et al. Blueberry Supplementation and Memory. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 2010.
… among others.