Distilled Water: A Comprehensive Guide to Its Benefits, Dangers, and Applications
The Allure of Distilled Water
With a growing consciousness about health and cleanliness, distilled water is surging in popularity. It promises purity unlike any other – a water source devoid of any contaminants, whether they be bacteria, chemicals, or minerals. This is precisely why distilled water finds favor in specific industries, notably in medical, industrial, and surgical domains.
Yet, while it may be pure, it lacks the essential minerals found in other water sources like spring or mineral water, and even in reverse osmosis-treated water. People, especially those caring for newborns or the infirm, may opt for distilled water due to its purity. However, constantly purchasing pre-packaged distilled water can be expensive and unsustainable in the long run. This rising demand has thus spurred a market boom for home water distillers.
The Science Behind Water Distillation
- Boiling the Water: When water is boiled, it produces steam, which is free from contaminants present in the original water.
- Capturing the Steam: The steam is then directed to a separate chamber, where it cools down and condenses back into water.
- Collecting Distilled Water: The condensed steam, now pure water, is collected separately.
Understanding Water Distiller Units
Reasons to Consider Using a Water Distiller
- High Purity: A well-maintained water distiller can eliminate over 95% of contaminants.
- Broad Spectrum of Removal: Distillers can get rid of compounds like sulfates, nitrates, and even certain heavy metals.
- Combatting Hard Water: Minerals like magnesium and calcium, which cause water hardness, are removed.
- Preference in Labs: Due to its high purity, distilled water is often favored in chemical labs.
- Fluoride Removal: Distillers can remove fluoride, which is a concern for many and not always addressed by standard filters.
- Economic and Eco-friendly: While bottled distilled water is available, having a distiller can be both cost-effective and environmentally friendly in the long run.
Note:One limitation of water distillers is their capacity. They are designed for smaller quantities. For larger volumes, alternatives like Reverse Osmosis might be better.
Selecting the Ideal Water Distiller System for Your Needs
- Convenience: Different units, though based on the same principle, may offer varied user experiences.
- Space: Ensure the unit fits comfortably in your designated space.
- Aesthetics: Choose one that complements your kitchen’s design.
- Value for Money: Consider quality, speed, and features against your budget.
- Warranty: Opt for units that offer solid warranties or money-back guarantees.
- Safety Certifications: Always check for safety accreditations and positive user reviews.
- Safety Features: Features like automatic shut-offs are crucial for ensuring safe operations.
- Brand Reputation: As a rule, prefer brands with a track record of at least 5-10 years.
Top Water Distiller Systems:
1. MegaHome Glass Collection Water Distiller:
2. Waterwise 8800 Water Distiller:
- Can impressively purify up to 6 gallons within a day.
- The handles are ergonomically designed for ease of transport and safety.
- Ideal for a variety of settings, from homes to offices, and its compact size enhances portability.
- Uses a dual purification system, combining steam distillation and carbon post-filtration.
- Proudly manufactured in the USA, ensuring quality standards.
3. Olizee Pure Water Distiller:
- Dimensions: 11.4 x 10.1 x 19.3 inches.
- Weight: 8.5 pounds.
- Material: Premium stainless steel with a high-quality glass compartment for water storage.
- The glass compartment is not only durable but also refrigerator-friendly.
- Features a carbon filter, a step up from the conventional plastic materials.
- For international users, there’s a 220V variant.
- Intuitive controls and user-friendly design.
- Automated features enhance convenience.
- Distillation takes around 4 hours for 1 gallon, which may not be the fastest on the market.
- Given its features, its price point might be a bit steep, especially when compared to the value offered by models like the Waterwise 8800.
Best Water Distiller - Comparison Table
MegaHome Water Distiller
Waterwise 8800 Water Distiller
Olizee Pure Water Distiller
Non-Electric Water Filter Recommendation:
- Crafted with industrial-standard steel, ensuring durability.
- Features an air and water-tight lid for enhanced safety.
- Boasts a high caliber of filtration performance, ensuring pure water.
- Minimal maintenance required, further accentuated by the absence of the need for replacement filters. /li>
- Easy to assemble right out of the box.
- Functions efficiently without the need for electricity.